Saturday 5 July 2014

The Fault in our Stars - Book Vs Film

Hey there!

Ok, so I actually got around to writing it this time! *woo* Here is my review of The Fault in our Stars and a comparison between the film and the book.



I'll start with the book. Overall I thought the book was very well written with feeling and some books, I think, can be insensitive towards the topic but John Green's style was very good and I think he wrote it brilliantly. The book, although you may think it is wrong, also had a touch of humour. It is the kind of book that makes you laugh, makes you cry but also makes you want to come back and keep reading.

I started reading the book when I found out that it was coming out in 'film-form'  and, because my friends and I wanted to go and see it, I thought I should probably read the book before seeing the film. I would give this advice to anyone going to see any film that is already out in book form; it is such a good idea to read the book before going! Even if you think that it will ruin the story or you won't enjoy it as much, you will not regret it!

The way that it was described on IMDb was as follows:
'Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.'

Some films are completely different to the books that they are based on and some also have huge missing sections but I think that 'The Fault in Our Stars' was very accurately shot and cast! It was hardly missing anything and also included Hazel's P.O.V. (point of view) which is basically her internal monologue in the book. I had originally thought that this would be left out like it is in so many other films but to my surprise it was left in! I'm going to leave it to you to find out how, but I will say that it is done in a very good way and is in no way cheesy!


The Fault in Our Stars (2014) Poster

The film, I think, is also very well cast. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort portray the roles of Hazel and Augustus very well and still added their own take on them. Also I think that Nat Wolff played Isaac very well considering it must be quite difficult to play someone who is blind without seeming insensitive. 

                                               (All photos taken from: http://www.imdb.com                                                                 
Nat Wolff PictureShailene Woodley Picture

Ansel Elgort Picture

In all, I think that the film had the perfect balance of sadness and funniness. It was beautifully sad but I didn't cry very much which wasn't what I was expecting at all! Most of my friends, on the other hand, cried throughout (it's a good thing we stopped in the toilets on the way to get tissues!) 

I really cannot sing enough praises for this film and I would happily see it again and again and again! I really can't wait for the DVD! 

However, it is not just the film that needs the praise because it is also accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack that sums up the film perfectly! It includes songs from artists like: Ed Sheeran, Birdy, One Republic and Charli XCX. Some of the songs include:



'All of the stars' by Ed Sheeran



and 'T-shirt' by Birdy. 

There are also many other amazing tracks!

I really hope I have convinced some of you to see the film and I thought I should share that this entirely my own view that I have generated myself of the film and everybody is allowed their own say in whether they like it or not! :)

Have a lovely weekend!

Until next time
-G-
X

No comments:

Post a Comment